Upgrade PirateBox older than 1.0.0
If you're currently running an older version of PirateBox on your router, these instructions should get you up and running in a flash (literally!). Please Note: The instructions below are specifically for the TP-Link MR3020, WR703N, and MR3040.
1. First download a copy of install_piratebox.zip and a customized copy of OpenWrt for the MR3020, WR703N or MR3040 to your computer from: http://stable.openwrt.piratebox.de/auto (be sure to download the “*squashfs-factory.bin” file that corresponds with your specific device). Be sure to use one image from our served files, because they are customized to work together with the install.zip. If you use a different image-file, you won't be able to use this automatic installation!
2. Extract the install_piratebox.zip file and drag the “install” folder over to your USB flash drive.
3. Drag the “*squashfs-factory.bin” to your USB flash drive (you don't need to extract this file first!).
4. Now SAFELY REMOVE your USB drive from your computer and plug the USB stick into your OpenWrt router.
5. Set the toggle switch located beside the LAN/WAN port on the router to 3G mode.
6. Connect the router via ethernet cable to your computer and power up the router. Once the router is running, open a terminal window (for OS X, go to Applications > Utilities > Terminal; for Windows, install and open PuTTY) and log in with ssh:
Note: If you haven't set up a password yet, use the telnet command instead of ssh:
7. Navigate to the /mnt/usb directory:
8. Install the customized version of OpenWrt and PirateBox 1.0 with:
mtd write -r openwrt<TAB> firmware
Note: Use your “tab” key at the end of “openwrt” to autocomplete the full file name of the firmware.
9. After the upgrade completes, the router will restart. Note: You should wait 15-20 minutes for the installation to complete (depending upon your USB flash drive, it may take up to 45 minutes - be patient!). Your device will reboot a couple of times during the installation.
10. Once the installation is complete, telnet to the device:
11. Use the passwd command to set your login password – this will enable SSH:
12. You're now ready to activate the Kareha Image and Discussion Board and the UPnP server. See the Post-Installation instructions below for details.